Minnesota Kayak Fishing Association Forums 2018 Spring BIG PIKE Trip 2018 Spring BIG PIKE Trip Discussion

This topic contains 93 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Tom Elliott ~ Toad Outdoors 3 weeks ago.

• Author

THE GATOR GUY!
    Keymaster

r

There’s talk on starting out the season with a trip to target BIG PIKE! In the past couple of years, this meant going to Devils Lake in North Dakota. Their season never closes, so we can fish before the season opens in MN. The weather can be dicey though.

In a text message stream, there has been talk about going to LOTW, Lake Of The Woods for an early June trip for BIG PIKE! That sounds great also.

We also have an event listed to go up to Hungry Jack Lodge on the Gunflint Trail for early June. Any of these can change to whatever the group wants or prefers. We’re looking for your thoughts and ideas. Please discuss here!

The Gator Guy! I like to catch BIG PIKE!

Razorklaw
    Participant

Following. Need to figure out my travel plans.

K P
    Participant

I’m game for trying some where new, due to the hit or miss with the Devils Lake weather. If anyone has suggestions on where to catch big pike or lots of pike, throw it out here.

jengelmann
    Participant

The pike season does not close on Lake of the Woods either. I was thinking an early May, shortly after ice out. There are resorts up there that only charge $25/person per night for lodging during the off season.

I can’t seem to post a copy of the map, but I was thinking of fishing either Bostic Creek or Zippel Bay. Shane might be able to provide more info, he’s spent more time up there than me.

Blind Squirrel Fishing Team!!
    Just like a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while, I find a fish every once in a while.

K P
      Participant

Sounds great Josh. I contacted Zippel Bay Resort and their summer rates go into effect in April. I contacted Cyrus Resort and as soon as the ice is off, their rates are $45 per person($60 in the summer) to get anglers up there early. We can tentatively plan to go the weekend, or week for some, that there is open water.

2 users thanked author for this post.

jengelmann
    Participant

https://www.google.com/maps/@48.8424462,-94.767739,2634m/data=!3m1!1e3

That should bring up the map of Bostic Creek.

Just like a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while, I find a fish every once in a while.

1 user thanked author for this post.

THE GATOR GUY!
      Keymaster

I ice fish out of Ballards which is on wheelers point. Bostic creek looks like it protected somewhat. Plus, got to think the pike would be heading that way to shallow water to spawn.

jengelmann
    Participant

https://www.google.com/maps/@48.8640451,-94.883391,3259m/data=!3m1!1e3

That should bring up the map for Zippel Bay.

jengelmann
    Participant

I’ve ice fished out of Cyrus resort for the past 5 years. Their cabins are very nice and have plenty of room. I guess I was exaggerating the cheap rates somewhat, but $45/night isn’t bad either. Bostic Creek is protected. It winds around and has lots of rushes growing. It isn’t overly wide, so we should be able to handle some wind. Up towards the mouth of the creek people spear and tip-up fish in the winter. This winter already a 42″ inch pike was taken in that area.

It also isn’t that far to drive from Cyrus resort to Zippel Bay state park if we want to fish Zippel Bay. We would have to watch the timing somewhat. Zippel Bay resort does an ice out pike tourney the first weekend after ice out. We would want to wait until that is done before we head up. Last year I think they had around 40 boats in that tourney.

Most of the resorts don’t operate their restaurants during that time of year. We would have to check and see who has restaurants open or if we would have to cook our own meals. I believe Cyrus closes their restaurant from April 15th until the fishing opener.

THE GATOR GUY!
    Keymaster

$45 bucks a night is totally fine by me…unless i had to share a room with KP! 😛 I assume the cabins have kitchens, so we could figure something on meals easily. They probably have grills for each cabin too. Clean sheets, hot showers, rain protection and the chance for a MONSTER PIKE! I’m really liking the sound of this!

K P
      Participant

Anyone sharing a room with me will be charged an additional $15 as I am a professional cuddler, and I’m the big spoon. Anyone sharing a room with Ron, well I hope you like banjo music. 😯

THE GATOR GUY!
        Keymaster

Dwayne says you’re NOT a good cuddler! Ha, ha!

K P
          Participant

Dwayne used a Groupon so I didn’t give him my all.

THE GATOR GUY!
            Keymaster

I knew you could be had on the cheap! 🙂

I don’t cuddle but I am up foe lake of the woods ! Would June be late up there!

THE GATOR GUY!
      Keymaster

NO CUDDLING REQUIRED! Ha, ha! Dates are not set yet for sure. We can see what works best for most who want to go. Some may go for a longer period of time. Others may come for only part of the dates. My bet is we’ll be talking end of May early June.

jengelmann
    Participant

If you wait until late May or early June it could cause some difficulties. Cabin rates increase and traffic on the water increases. Once walleye season is open we will have to contend with all of the charter boats from the resorts. My preference would be the week or weekend before opener.

THE GATOR GUY!
      Keymaster

Good point Josh! Then we get back in to the dicey weather conditions. But you are right on. The walleye guys will be elbow to elbow up there. The weekend before opener makes sense. So are walleyes on MN regs and pike are NOT?

THE GATOR GUY!
    Keymaster

Good point Josh! Then we get back in to the dicey weather conditions. But you are right on. The walleye guys will be elbow to elbow up there. The weekend before opener makes sense. So are walleyes on MN regs and pike are NOT?

jengelmann
    Participant

There are special regulations for that lake. Walleye season runs til mid April and then opens again on fishing opener. Pike and bass have a continuous season.
    I don’t think getting lodging at the last minute would be a problem before opener.

So we are talking about the first weekend in maya?
    About May 5th or 6th. I should be able to bet up there for that weekend! I sure I can wait that long to go kayak fish for Pike though!

I still need to figure out a post ice fishing destination!!

Brett

THE GATOR GUY!
    Keymaster

So I googled “average date of ice out lake of the woods.” End of April for 2017. So first week in May might be dicey. I think like Josh may be right. The week before the MN walleye opener. May 12 is the opener. So May 5 would be the week before. Here is the link to google search for ice out. http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/ice_out/index.html

All right… I’ve thought about suggesting the LOW trip to Zippel Bay for two years. I took my boat up to Zippel the week before the tourney 5 years ago. We fished 3 days. Restaurant at the resort closed. Bait nearly impossible to find. We ended up going to Roseau and getting the last 2 packs of frozen herring available. Nothing pike sized available in Baudette or Warroad. We rented a cabin at Zippel bay resort and launched from there. The channel markers were not in, resulting in a few prop dings. We fished Monday – Wednesday. Took us 1.5 days to develop a pattern. First day we only caught 6 fish ranging 22-28 inches. First day there were 7 boats total on the bay. Tuesday and Wednesday there were only 0-2 boats (not counting our boat). From Tuesday noon until Wednesday noon (fishing daylight hours), we caught 33 pike between 30 and 44 inches. My nephew continues to call this his best fishing day ever. I do too!

I have not been back since. I was supposed to go 2 years ago, but ended up having neck surgery 3 days before departure. Some thoughts:
    Midweek is definitely less crowded.
    There is a 2nd resort further west on the bay that some boats came out of.
    Bait unlikely available locally.
    Couldn’t find an open restaurant from Baudette to Zippel Bay.
    Cooking facilities were available in our cabin at Zippel ( a 2 bedroom).
    Timing is critical. While the bay was open when we went, LOW was ice covered. We couldn’t make it past the lighthouse.
    How long after ice is off the bay do the pike remain?
    For the years I was able to find results, the typical winning pike for the Zippel Bay resort tourney was usually upper 40s.
    Planned dates for trip unfortunately need to be flexible.

I would love to go!

RnT

THE GATOR GUY!
    Keymaster

Thanks Rock N Troll! Good info. The bays will open up sooner for sure, so if we are in zippel bay or by Bostic Creek the chances of open water are better. What were you hooking the frozen shiners to? Most of us would be thinking artificials. I’ve even heard some people say BIG BAITS aren’t what the pike want that time of year. I would certainly get some frozen shiners early and bring them up and SELL them to you guys! Ha, ha!

jengelmann
    Participant

I’m really excited about this trip! I’d be interested in hearing more about your tackle and tactics when you were up there Rock N Troll. Were you trolling or bobber fishing? What kind of frozen bait did you use? How did you hook it? Thanks for the information.

Frozen herring suspended under a bobber. We also casted large plastics. Most of the bay was less than 7ft deep. We trolled the first day and only got the smaller fish.

RnT

We only could find a dozen medium sucker minnows. They worked well under a bobber. We made sure to pull them out of caught fish and even netted the sucker if it was spit out during the fight. We caught half the fish on plastics and half on the suspended bait.

RnT

We were very unprepared tacklewise. It seemed that on that trip, spinner baits, spoons and cranks were nearly worthless. I have spent the intervening years acquiring tackle for the next time I get to go. We had to buy big bobbers and hooks because we didn’t bring any. Definitely will have 80lb fluoro leaders next time.

RnT

THE GATOR GUY!
    Keymaster

So it sounds like they wanted real meat, the suckers. Were using plastic swim baits for the plastics you refer to?

I was using a 9 inch sluggo…didn’t have any swim baits at that time. Like I said earlier, I was unprepared. Had mainly my usual pike stuff…spoons, spinner baits and cranks. I would think swim baits would produce.

RnT

Here is good show about LOW Northern Pike.

This makes me excited to go.

THE GATOR GUY!
    Keymaster

Oh yeah baby!!! That shows everything I like to see. BIG PIKE caught on the exact gear and lures I like to use. This was an AWESOME way to start my day. Thanks!
    Ha, ha!!! Pike poop in the boat. I’ve been there. Those big stinkers! 🙂

THE GATOR GUY!
    Keymaster

Big Pike Kayak Fishingyeah, I’m a little excited about this!

THE GATOR GUY!
    Keymaster

Big Pike Kayak Fishingyeah, I’m a little excited about this!

jengelmann
      Participant

You need to make that into a sticker and put it on you kayak.

THE GATOR GUY!
    Keymaster

I have big plans for “Gator Graphics” on an new kayak and trailer. Not sure when I’ll pull the trigger on it…but I’m going to have some fun doing it! 🙂

THE GATOR GUY!
    Keymaster

I have big plans for “Gator Graphics” on an new kayak and trailer. Not sure when I’ll pull the trigger on it…but I’m going to have some fun doing it! 🙂

Hey guys! Sounds like a blast!

Tom Elliott ~ Toad Outdoors
    Home Lake: O'Dowd

THE GATOR GUY!
    Keymaster

Thought you’d find this Tom! Hope you can make it. Could be EPIC!!!

THE GATOR GUY!
    Keymaster

Thought you’d find this Tom! Hope you can make it. Could be EPIC!!!

great video! Didn’t realize the big pike remained that close in for that long. Looked like the water was easily kayakable throughout their filming. Why am I not up there every year??!!

RnT

What bay are you guys thinking? I’d like to make a reservation sooner than later to get locked into that cheap rate…

THE GATOR GUY!
    Keymaster

My understanding is Zippel Bay Resort. I’m ready to book some time at an affordable rate. The question becomes who is going and for what length of time? I’m thinking about being up there for 4 or 5 days maybe. That leaves a rain day or shitty wind day or 2 as a throw away. What are you thinking Tom?

I am thinking about camping a zippel bay state park. It will save some $.
    http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks/zippel_bay/index.html

Brett

The park looks like it has a boat launch too.

THE GATOR GUY!
    Keymaster

From the state park web page.
    Fishing in Channel. With ample shoreline, a marina, boat ramp, and fishing pier, Zippel Bay State Park is a great place to fish. This spot is a springtime favorite for anglers hoping to catch spawning, trophy-sized northern pike. It is here that the Hiking Club Trail concludes. The historic Zippel town site was located on this scenic point.

jengelmann
    Participant

I’m not brave enough to camp up there that early in the year. I think Zippel Bay Resort is $60 per night and Cyrus Resort is $45 per night. I’m planning on going.

Does any one have a link to the lower off season rate a zippels bay resort? I could not find them.
    Or do you needs to call for the rates?

We have to make sure we miss this weekend or else we won’t find a place to stay
    https://lakeofthewoodsmn.com/zippel-bay-resorts-spring-pike-tournament-april-30-may-1/

THE GATOR GUY!
    Keymaster

Good point Tom. I have the event for the week after the tournament you mention. I think I’m going to try and get up there on Wednesday or so maybe. Since our trip is after the pike tourney, which in the link you sent describes the resort as being sold out, there may not to much of a deal. I’m going to try and give a call up to Zippel Bay Resort and see what lodging costs are.

David Mikkelson
    Participant

How do I get in on this!!? Would love to join you guys!!!!!

K P
      Participant

David, bring your tattooing gear with you. We’ll all have a few beverages and you can give us matching tattoos. In return, we will all take a turn doing a little bit of yours, it’ll be a great bonding experience.

THE GATOR GUY!
    Keymaster

David, just click the little button on the lower left “Notify me of follow-up replies via email”. Add any comments or info you like. At some point I may move this to the event page and see who all is going. My bet is we’ll have 6 to 12 people going. Personally, I’m pretty darned PUMPED for this! As we get closer we’ll coordinate who’s going and when.

David Mikkelson
    Participant

I did! 🙂

jengelmann
    Participant

If my understanding is correct, Zippel Bay Resort does not schedule their tourney until they know when the ice is out. We could watch for the timing of that and plan our trip for the next week/weekend.
    I think KP called up to Zippel Bay Resort and Cyrus Resort at some point. Zippel Bay does not have cheap lodging at that time of year, they are sill $60/person per night. Cyrus Resort is at $45/person per night.
    I don’t think we need to worry about getting reservations already. If my understanding is correct, they do not get completely booked from ice out until Walleye opener. I would think that we would be able to wait and see when the ice is going to be off before we make reservations.
    Hardly any, if any at all, resort restaurants are open during that time of year. The cabins at Zippel Bay and Cyrus have kitchens, so we would just have to plan on cooking on our own.
    I think it would be beneficial to try and have a get together before the trip to help everybody plan on the type of tackle that would be needed for the trip.
    I’m pumped! Big pike, little pike, as long as they bite and fight I will have a good time!

jengelmann
    Participant

One thing I forgot. There are numerous other small rivers and inlets that could be explored by kayak other than Zippel Bay and Bostic Creek. I might have to track down an outdoor atlas and do some research before the trip.

THE GATOR GUY!
    Keymaster

I’m game for anything. If there is anything that needs to be checked out, I am going up to LOTW for an early March ice fishing trip. Staying at Ballards, but I can certainly swing over to Zippel or Cyrus early or before we leave. I’ll probably go over there anyways. I’m even considering fishing out of Zippel or Cyrus for a few days and then meeting the other guys at Ballards for 2 days of fishing.

At some point we’ll need to get a list of those interested in this and contacts and have a meeting like Josh suggests.

Like Josh said, “I’m pumped! Big pike, little pike, as long as they bite and fight I will have a good time!”

Have a blast ice fishing up there! This video was taken at the border crossing on the Baudette river entry to the Rainy. This will get you amped Ron…

THE GATOR GUY!
    Keymaster

HOLY SCHMIT TOM! Those are some bigguns! I hope one of us wrestles with one of those from a yak! I’m heading out on the ice with Walleye guys, so that part of the trip is for Sauger and Walleye. I may head up early and fish for pike with tip ups. Awesome video! Thanks for sharing.

How those are some huge Pike! I might like Ice fishing more I caught pike like that.

What is the Rainy river like up by baudette? Does it have much current? If the current is slow enough in might be worth trying in the spring.

THE GATOR GUY!
    Keymaster

Just found this guys blog. Good info related to this trip! https://dondicksonfishingcom.wordpress.com/2018/01/24/the-truth-about-catching-big-northern-pike-and-musky-part-two/

David Mikkelson
    Participant

David, bring your tattooing gear with you. We’ll all have a few beverages and you can give us matching tattoos. In return, we will all take a turn doing a little bit of yours, it’ll be a great bonding experience.

America dont want to see me tattoo…….AMERICA wants to see me fish! Lol

YakCaptn
    Participant

Sounds like a fun trip, will have to keep my eye on this to see if I could work it out

Yakcatn Kirk

Looks like ice out could be later than average. Last weekend on the on the Ice Castle Owner’s Group people were reporting ice thicknesses on LOTW between 42 and 48 inches.

RnT

Yes you are right… unless things change drastically, ice out will be super late this year. I was going to post that yesterday.

Late ice out makes it more likely that I might be able to make the trip. I am on a Caribbean cruise from 4/24 through 5/3.

RnT

jengelmann
    Participant

I’m still thinking that our best bet will be to go up either side of the weekend before fishing opener.

THE GATOR GUY!
    Keymaster

I was up at Lake of the woods last week ice fishing. 40″ to 50″ of ice on the lake. Not much slush. Some of the resorts are predicting they will be taking people out on the ice in Bombers to the end of March. Unless they get a tropical heat wave, ice out is gonna be late, late, late!

K P
    Participant

No worries. By the middle to the end of April, we’ll have a better idea of when ice out will be up there. We can start making more concrete plans then.

jengelmann
    Participant

I do have a backup location in mind that might work if ice out gets too late at Lake of the Woods. It would still offer a chance to catch a big pike along with some nice largemouth bass. Close to the same amount of drive time.

K P
      Participant

Sounds good Josh. What dates are you planning to go up again?

THE GATOR GUY!
    Keymaster

Sheesh, we’re going to need a heat wave to melt all that ice up there by the date we have scheduled. I’m seeing lots of big pike being caught up there. Some of the resorts are showing ice fishing outings for the entire month of March. I’m game for anything for an early trip destination.

jengelmann
    Participant

April 28th-May 2nd or May 5 – May 8 are the two weekends that I’m thinking about right now. I like the first weekend better because it gives me one weekend between the trip and fishing opener. I am flexible on the dates and days of the week that I go. This is just my initial thoughts.

Backup Plan:
    Lake Wanahoo, Nebraska. http://outdoornebraska.gov/lakewanahoo/
    It is a manmade lake with lots of standing timber and rip rap to fish. Catch and release only on Northern Pike and a 21″ minimum on Largemouth bass. 5 mph speed limit, no wake zone for the entire lake. I fished it once last summer and thought it was really interesting. I caught a few nice chunky bass. If you want to see more, I believe Hobie Pro Kevin Workman fishes this lake a lot.
    There is a campground located right at the lake that allows both tents and RV’s. It would probably add an hour drive compared to going to Lake of the Woods. I would think that we would have a better chance at decent temps for fishing weather. I was down there end of June and the campground was mostly empty.
    Here are some pictures from the trip:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1upCGmkVJVo5iorPU-dJG-spi68boAvf_/view?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1exuja44CQaFFwf-d7t58DhhJltS9pf1L
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yUgFA_eCBluPmhvp8vuFS_GSWurbzVRl
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1SIZ8_wCEHCT6JqCreC-9uAgIrsSbWGoY

The other backup would be to hit some of the lakes in eastern South Dakota. They have a continuous season and some of the lakes have decent pike in them.

I’m up for anything. I have the itch to fish open water and I’m trying to find a way to make that happen.

ronwham
    Participant

Josh, can you do me a favor and make sure you can get on the forum and post? I’m having some issues with the members software. Thanks for the suggestions in case ice out is late on LOTW!

jengelmann
    Participant

Just to clarify my earlier post, my first choice is still Lake of the Woods. I think we have a decent chance of still being able to fish up there. Zipple Bay and Bostic Creek will have moving water to help push the ice out earlier than it is on the main lake.

bgrams1
    Participant

I’m keeping my finger on the pulse on this one. If ice out for Lake of the Woods looks like a go I’m in. I would love to get up there and on some monsters!

Peeling drag!

THE GATOR GUY!
    Keymaster

New big spoons purchased: check
    New big spinner baits purchased: check
    New flourocarbon leaders purchased: check
    New big swimbaits purchased: getter done

Ice melted in Zipple Bay? GO SUN!

jengelmann
      Participant

What are you buying for swimbaits? I haven’t hardly used them and I’m interested in what would work good for pike.

THE GATOR GUY!
    Keymaster

thinking something like these.

jengelmann
    Participant

Chime in on your thoughts.
    Zippel Bay Resort. posted that their spring pike tournament will be the weekend of May 5-6. That pretty much rules out fishing Zippel Bay during that weekend. We can still go up there and fish Bostic Creek, or we can go up just after the tournament and fish during the week.
    The other option is to pick a different area all together to go fish. I’m not sure what everybody thinks about that. The only other options are to head south to a different state, or fish the backwaters of the Mississippi River.
    I’m open to about anything.

I know of a guy that lives off of French Lake that has plenty of room for tents. He also has a wife that can teach us all how to catch walleye out of a kayak. 😉

jengelmann
    Participant

Here is an interesting article I came across today.

https://www.rapidmedia.com/kayakangler/categories/trips/3550-explore-nebraska?utm_source=Kayak+Angler+Magazine&utm_campaign=ebf2b04ab6-KATW_CAMPAIGN_2018_04_04&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_603ed3208e-ebf2b04ab6-89894905

Let me know if that works for you guys to read it.

smbfinatic
    Participant

Warroad River has plenty of room. Can even get out on main lake near shore if theres no ice but the river should have some open water. Cant believe I gave out this gem.

THE GATOR GUY!
    Keymaster

WOW! Thanks for sharing smbfinatic!

bgrams1
    Participant

Any good news on this?

Peeling drag!

K P
      Participant

Hi Ben,
      Back on March 7th, I stated, “No worries. By the middle to the end of April, we’ll have a better idea of when ice out will be up there. We can start making more concrete plans then”. Well, “Houston, we have a problem”. The temperature needs to stay above freezing during the night which I see doesn’t start happening until Sunday and it needs to get a little windy. I think there’s little chance that this trip is happening this year. However, who’d a thunk we’d have gotten a foot of snow in the middle of April, a month ago?

bgrams1
    Participant

I hear ya KP. Been a late spring. Look forward to fishing with you soon though.

Peeling drag!

THE GATOR GUY!
    Keymaster

Hey, smbfinatic, can you give us an update on ice conditions? We’re trying to figure out where to go for BIG PIKE. I really like the LOTW idea. We’d appreciate any help you can give us. Thanks in advance!

THE GATOR GUY!
    Keymaster

Hey, smbfinatic, can you give us an update on ice conditions? We’re trying to figure out where to go for BIG PIKE. I really like the LOTW idea. We’d appreciate any help you can give us. Thanks in advance!

THE GATOR GUY!
    Keymaster

I have been talking with a guide I use at Ballards on LOTW for ice fishing. He is going to watch Bostic Bay and I plan on going up and going out with him in kayaks when the time is right. Probably going to be soon. He is checking ice out today on the bay. He has caught very large pike in Bostic Bay.

here is a webcam from up there

THE GATOR GUY!
    Keymaster

Hi Toad! That’s looking out on the lake if I see it correctly. The bays are shallow, some have moving water, so they open faster. That’s why you want to get in there while those BIG MAMMAS are spawning in the shallow warmer water. Once they are done, the BIGGUNS move back to the deeper water. At least that’s how I understand it.

THE GATOR GUY!
    Keymaster

Guys, heard from Zach the guide I know. He says that not this weekend, but the weekend after, May 6 &7 is looking real good. Bostic is still frozen, but the weather outlook looks good for it open. He says even if Bostic is not open there will be other spots to fish. He’ll keep an eye out and message me. I’m planning on leaving week from Friday and fishing at least Saturday and Sunday IF all goes according to projection. Zach the guide is seeing if Ballards has cabins. If not we can stay in town. The Sturgeon bite is on, but it is not like the walleye crowd is up there yet, so space should be available somewhere. He said they fish big spinner baits. That’s what I used on Devils Lake a couple years ago, they worked. You’ll need a handful at least, the pike will destroy them.

This date kind of popped up quick for me. Are you guys going up there? I wish I could but don’t think I can swing up there this year but am still drooling over it. The yard work need to get done before opener so I can have all the time to school you guys during the pike tourney hehe. New found Lake X to hit up…

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.