Join the FUN! Check out these 2020 events!
We have a mix of paid and non-paid events throughout the year. All fees go towards running the association, purchasing prizes and for pay out winnings. We’re non-profit and there are no paid positions in our organization. We try to keep any fees very low to encourage participation. NOTE: You MUST be a member of the Minnesota Kayak Fishing Association to be eligible for our tournaments. You must fish the waters of Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa or Wisconsin or the specific waters designated for destination tournaments. All entries will be verified as having a member account. Any entries not associated with an active MNKFA member account will be disqualified.
Actual dates will be determined by ice-out conditions
Watch this page or our social media for information.
The MN DNR lake survey verifies the presence of a healthy trophy pike fishery
Lake of the Woods is managed for a high-quality northern pike population, with a significant component of “trophy” northern pike over 40 inches long. To monitor the size structure of the northern pike population, it is sampled every 5 years using trap nets at known spawning sites. The northern pike population continues to be one of high quality, with 19% of the adult population at least 35 inches long, and 5% of the adults 40 inches long, or longer.
WIN A 2020 HOBIE OUTBACK FROM HI TEMPO!
First place wins one standard color Hobie Outback.
Check out the details of the Hobie Outback on the Hi Tempo website.
Here is the agenda for the 2020 Chris Nelson Memorial kayak fishing tournament
Tournament Director is Anthony Heimkes
email@example.com or 612-669-5759
***Small details are subject to MNKFA change***
Saturday 6/13/2020, 7:00AM MANDATORY!: Check in at the tournament headquarters for the MANDATORY Captain’s meeting where we’ll go over all the rules, fill out and sign waivers, and give you the control image. FAILURE TO BE AT THIS MEETING WILL RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION!
Saturday 8:00am: You can launch at any public launch on Clearwater Lake. You may NOT use any private access to the water for this tournament. ONLY public access that is available to all is allowed.
Saturday 3:00pm: You MUST be physically back to the tournament headquarters. Turn in photos of your catch to the tournament director if you could not or did not email your photos. Have a soft drink and chit-chat with fellow kayak anglers. Check out the prize give aways. YOU MUST BE BACK BY THIS TIME. THIS IS MANDATORY. IF YOU ARE LATE, YOU WILL BE DISQUALIFIED.
!!!SAFETY!!! Everyone is required to check back in with the tournament director at the end of fishing. You do not need to stay for the awards ceremony if you did NOT win a prize. We MUST know you are off the water safely. If you won a top prize, you MUST attend the awards ceremony to claim the prize. If you are not at the awards ceremony, your prize goes to the next highest finisher attending the awards ceremony.
Saturday 3:00pm to 3:30pm: Have a drink and chit-chat with other kayak anglers.
Saturday 3:30pm to 4:15pm: We’ll have a barbecue dinner.
Saturday 4:15pm to 4:45pm: We’ll announce the winners of the tournament, then give away lots of prizes as fast as we can.
The rest of the weekend: You’re on your own. No formal plans. Find a new friend and go out fish with them!
Minnesota Kayak Fishing Association rules for this tournament (rules subject to change)
Interpretation of these rules will be left exclusively to tournament officials whose decisions are final. We (MNKFA) reserve the right to change, or add rules to ensure the competition is fair and equal to all participants and sponsors.
1. Registration: Registration for The Chris Nelson Memorial Kayak Fishing Tournament will be announced a week prior to opening on facebook. Registration will end Friday, June 12, 2020 at 5:00pm central standard time or when all 75 spots are sold.
2. Requirements: This tournament is strictly catch and release. Tournament control card will be supplied at the event. Control Card must be in the photo with your catch. Your photo must include a fish measuring device like a Hawg Trough or similar tournament-approved measuring device. The ruler marks must be legible in your photo submission. The Control Card must appear in each photo submitted. Failure to include this will disqualify your entry. All submissions MUST conform to current rules on this page: Fish measuring / pic submission rules.
3. Scoring: The tournament will feature Bass (both large and small mouth only). Longest combined length of FIVE (5) top bass WINS! You can upgrade your smallest fish submitted with a larger one at anytime during tournament fishing hours. Fish submissions can be sent to Anthony Heimkes at firstname.lastname@example.org or text to 612-669-5759.
4. Start and Finish Times: Tournament fishing will begin at 8:00 am CST 06-13-2020. End of the tournament fishing will be 3:00 pm CST 06-13-2020. All photo entries must be emailed AND received by 3:00 pm CST 06-13-2020. If you’re not able to email, you must be in the line at tournament headquarters to give your submission to the tournament official by 3:00pm CST 06-8-2020. We are NOT responsible for any internet connectivity issues!!! Send your entries early. NO EXCEPTIONS!!!
5. Event Details: This event is an opportunity to spend time together as a group and get to know one another. There will be prizes and an award ceremony following the close of the tournament fishing at tournament headquarters. All winners MUST be present at the award ceremony or they forfeit any winnings.
6. Catch: All fish must be taken with a fishing rod, line and artificial lures on the day of the tournament during tournament fishing hours. Participants must fish from a human powered kayak, NO OTHER BOAT TYPES ARE ALLOWED. Only ONE angler may be in the kayak. No gas or electric motors are allowed! Absolutely no other method will be permitted.
7. Safety: We strongly encourage that a PFD be worn. Bring a whistle with as well, another practice that should be followed while paddling. Kayakers must be in accordance with state regulations. Safe boating conduct must be observed at all times.
8. Sportsmanship: Sportsmanship, courtesy, safety and conservation are expected from each angler. Any infraction of these fundamental sporting principles may be cause for disqualification. All participants must follow the DNR regulations in effect on the waters they are fishing.
9. Fishing Boundaries: You MUST fish and launch ONLY on Clearwater Lake. Plus, you MUST be at the Captains meeting in the morning at 7:00am AND back to tournament headquarters by 3:00pm.