Join the FUN! Check out these 2020 events!
We have a mix of paid and non-paid events throughout the year. NOTE: You MUST be a member of the Minnesota Kayak Fishing Association to be eligible for our tournaments. You must fish the waters of Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa or Wisconsin or the specific waters designated for destination tournaments. All entries will be verified as having a member account. Any entries not associated with an active MNKFA member account will be disqualified.
Not for profit, just for FUN!
There are several online bass tournaments that organizations or individuals run for profit. These MNKFA / Omnia Fishing tournaments are run by volunteers. The entry fee is low, just $30 for a full month of tournament fishing. These are low stress, friendly online competitions. A small part of your entry fee goes to pay for Tourney X, otherwise, all entry fees are paid to the winner(s) based on how many entrants sign up and how much money is in the pot.
Enjoy these benefits and conveniences:
- Fish when and where you want (in the 5 state area, MN, SD, ND, IA, WI)
- Tourney X shows standings in real time, watch your position in the standings rise (it’s FUN!)
- No travel to get to and home from a destination tournament (spend more time fishing!)
- Cost is low, fun is maximum!
Each month Omnia Fishing will be adding a $100 gift card (on top of MNKFA winnings) for the 1st place finisher if you are an Omnia Fishing customer. You’ll need a receipt showing you made a purchase, no matter how big or small, the month of the tournament. Your purchase transactions are online in your Omnia Fishing account. THANKS TO OMNIA FISHING!
Tourney X will be used for sign up and scoring
Tournaments will be held in June, July, August, September and October. Each month a new tournament starts. Each month a new $30 entry fee and payout schedule will be established. There will be NO REFUNDS for the monthly online tournaments for any reason. By signing up using the link below, you agree to all the rules on this page.
NOTE: Rules and regulations can change at the discretion of the MNKFA board and the tournament director for ANY reason. This is a LOW COST tournament, no complaining or arguing will be tolerated at all! MNKFA reserves the right to disqualify anyone at anytime if your bad behavior, negative attitude, negative attitude toward MNKFA, or disrespecting any board member, member or volunteer warrants disqualification. You’ll be disqualified if you just can’t accept the rules or decisions made by MNKFA and you incessantly complain, whine or bash!
Open to all kayak anglers in MN, IA, SD, ND and WI. You can fish any water in the 5 state area for a full month. We’ll use Tourney X to keep score. Your top 5 bass make up your score each month.
Each month is a new tournament. You start with a score of zero and go catch your best 5 bass for that month. The first tournament starts in June 2020. Followed by a tournament in July, August, September and maybe October.
Interpretation of these rules will be left exclusively to tournament officials whose decisions are final.
1. Registration: YOU MUST SIGN UP AND PAY YOUR ENTRY FEE BEFORE EACH MONTHLY TOURNAMENT STARTS. YOU must sign up and register on tourneyX.com , NOT MNKFA WEBSITE. WE WILL PROVIDE THE LINK WHEN READY. EVERY MONTH IS A NEW TOURNAMENT SO YOU MUST RE-ENTER AND REGISTER BEFORE THE NEW MONTH STARTS.
2. Requirements: A pdf image will be emailed to all participants prior to each month. We will post the identifier link in the MNKFA Facebook group. We will also post a link to the identifier on this page. THIS PDF WILL HAVE A CODE ON IT EACH MONTH. YOU MUST HAVE THE CORRECT CODE FOR THE MONTH YOU ARE FISHING. THIS CODE WILL CHANGE EVERY MONTH. Print this letter size sheet, put it in a zip lock bag and place in the photo with your catch. (Only the tournament card with codes must be showing in your photo) Your photo must include a fish measuring device like a Hawg Trough or similar measuring device. YOUR “LOCATION SERVICES” MUST BE TURNED ON IN YOUR CELLPHONE WHEN TAKING PHOTOS FOR SUBMITTING.
You may pinch the tail, the mouth of the fish can be open or closed and at the bottom of mouth touching the left edge of your measuring device. The ruler marks must be easily legible in the photo submitted. The printed tournament pdf image must appear in each photo submitted. ANY alteration that promotes products or services added to the control image will be immediately disqualified! Failure to include this control image will disqualify your entry. For further information on photo measuring requirements, click here (opens in a new window).
3. Start and Finish Times: Tournament will begin at 12:01 am CST ON THE 1ST DAY OF EACH MONTH (June-October). End of the tournament will be at 11:59PM CST ON THE LAST DAY OF EACH MONTH. All photo entries must be SUBMITTED via the TourneyX website and received by the end of the tournament each month. We are NOT responsible for ANY submissions that are not in by midnight. We advise you to send earlier. NO exceptions will be made.
4. Catch: All fish must be taken with a fishing rod, line and hook with artificial bait only on the days of the tournament during tournament hours. Participant must fish from a human powered kayak, only ONE angler in the kayak. ONLY water craft listed as a kayak by the manufacturer of the vessel are eligible. Gas or electric motors ARE allowed on kayaks only for this online tournament! Absolutely no other method will be permitted.
5. Safety: A PFD must be either worn or onboard each watercraft in accordance with state regulations where you are fishing. Safe boating conduct must be observed at all times.
6. Sportsmanship: Sportsmanship, courtesy, safety and conservation are expected from each angler. Any infraction of these fundamental sporting principles may be cause for disqualification. All participants must follow the DNR regulations in effect on the waters they are fishing.
7. Fishing Boundaries: Fish must be caught in the waters of Minnesota, Wisconsin, North Dakota, South Dakota or Iowa. YOUR “LOCATION SERVICES” MUST BE TURNED ON IN YOUR CELLPHONE WHEN TAKING PHOTOS FOR SUBMITTING.
8. Weather: Anglers are to exercise their own best judgment for safety when considering whether to fish or not.
9. Cheating Inquiries: Any inquiries of cheating will be handled by Tournament Officials, and polygraph tests may be used to settle any cheating disputes. The challenging party agrees to pay for polygraph test costs. Challenging party agrees to be identified as the party making any accusations.
10. Prizes: The prizes for these tournaments are CASH. Each month’s payout will change depending on participation numbers. The more entries, the more cash payout. We will pay out to the top 3 each month, if there are enough participants. $5 of your entry fee goes to TourneyX fees, $2 goes to Paypal. The rest will be payed back to the entrants in cash prize.
11. Waiver: Submitting the entry form on Tourney X constitutes your agreement to ALL rules, regulations, waivers, terms and conditions, liability acknowledgement, otherwise the angler is ineligible to participate.
12. Ties: In case of a tie, the first fish submitted gets preference.
13. Your entry: You may NOT buy, sell, trade, swap, give away or pass on tournament entry spots. ONLY MNKFA tournament officials can authorize who is officially entered/registered in our events. MNKFA reserves the right to disqualify anyone who signs up, but has broken ANY MNKFA rules on any MNKFA media or events.
NOTE: Rules and regulations can change at the discretion of the MNKFA board and the tournament director to make things as fair as possible to all entrants or sponsors or discipline bad behavior on the part of an entrant.
Once the tournament has started, submit your entry via TOURNEYX.COM OR THEIR MOBILE APP. Your entry will be reviewed and MUST meet all the rules for acceptable entries.
The code to handwrite on your identifier is: MNKFA
This is something we’ve never done before! Tally up your 2 best pike and your 3 best bass for your final score. This should be fun. Strategically, there’s a lot of different ways to go at this tournament.
Launch points and location of Barsness Park
Updated 8/7/2020 at 9am
Schedule for event
Friday, August 7, 2020, at 7:00 pm: Mepps Piker Kit and X Zones Lures will be given out at Barsness Park. You can also pick up your lures at the post fishing BBQ and awards event.
******P R A C T I C E S O C I A L D I S T A N C I N G*****
Saturday, August 8, 2020, at 6:00 am: Have your kayak launched and stay within 200 yards of your launch point. At 6:00 am the identifier code that you will hand-write on your identifier tag will be posted in the Facebook group and on this page. Start fishing and submitting your catches.
Saturday, August 8, 2020, at 1:00 pm: Tourney X will stop taking submissions. No whining or complaining about connectivity or any other issues. Submit your fish as you catch them. No submissions will be counted after 1:00 pm!
Saturday, August 8, 2020, ASAP after 1:00 pm: Get to Barsness Park for a BBQ. Warren Arnold is serving up his World Famous Barbecue at a discount. THANKS, WARREN! You are on your own to pay for your food and drink, price is $8, bring cash, tip the cook, please.
******P R A C T I C E S O C I A L D I S T A N C I N G*****
******P R A C T I C E S O C I A L D I S T A N C I N G*****
ANY OF THESE DETAILS CAN CHANGE AT THE DISCRETION OF THE MNKFA BOARD
Minnesota Kayak Fishing Association Rules (Rules are subject to change)
*Interpretation of these rules will be left exclusively to tournament officials whose decisions are final. We (MNKFA) reserve the right to change or add rules to ensure the competition is fair and equal to all participants and sponsors. Rules may be prior to event start.
1. Registration: Registration for Kayak Fishing Tournaments will be announced no less than a week prior to opening on the MNKFA facebook page and MNKFA website. Registration is open to anyone 18 years of age or above and a valid member of MNKFA. Anyone under 18 must have a parent or guardian present and fill out any necessary forms or documents provided by MNKFA. (See cancellation policies for cancellations.)
2. Requirements: MNKFA tournaments are strictly catch and release. A Tournament control image will be supplied prior to the event (Online tournaments will be sent out before hand). The control image must be in the photo with your catch. Your photo must include a fish measuring device like a Hawg Trough or similar tournament-approved measuring device (see measuring requirements). The ruler marks must be easily legible in your photo submission. The Control image must appear in each photo submitted. Failure to include this will disqualify your entry. All submissions MUST conform to current measuring rules for MNKFA on this page: Fish measuring / pic submission rules
3. Scoring: You can upgrade your smallest fish submitted with a larger one at any time during tournament fishing hours. All fish may have open or closed mouth. Scoring will be done by the tournament director. Entries will be submitted via TourneyX. ALL fish submitted MUST meet fish measuring requirements.
4. Start and Finish Times: Tournament fishing times that are provided by MNKFA are subject to change by the MNKFA board. Your submission photos must be turned in upon the timeline requested per tournament.
5. Event Details: Prize award details are above on this page. All top prize winners MUST be present at the award ceremony or they forfeit any winnings.
6. Catch: All fish must be taken with a fishing rod, line and artificial lures on the day of the tournament during tournament fishing hours. You must remain in full compliance with law enforcement rules per the state you are fishing! Participants must fish from a human powered kayak, NO OTHER BOAT TYPES ARE ALLOWED. Only ONE person may be in the kayak. No gas or electric motors are allowed (unless its an online event, all live events are human powered only!) Absolutely no other method will be permitted. All vessels must be classified as a kayak from the manufacturer.
7. Safety: We strongly suggest that a PFD be worn and have an audible signalling device. Kayakers must be in accordance with state regulations. Safe Kayaking conduct must be observed at all times. NO alcohol or controlled substance can be used or allowed in the kayak during tournament hours.
8. Sportsmanship: Sportsmanship, courtesy, safety and conservation are expected from each angler. Any infraction of these fundamental sporting principles may be cause for disqualification. All participants must follow the DNR regulations in effect on the waters they are fishing.
9. Fishing Boundaries: You MUST fish and launch ONLY from the listed lakes and ramps provided by MNKFA. You MUST be back to tournament headquarters by the time frame set by MNKFA. Failure to do so will result in your disqualification from the tournament.
10. Weather: Anglers are to exercise their own best judgment for safety when considering whether to fish or not. Launch may be delayed or cancelled due to unsafe conditions as determined by the tournament director.
11. Cheating Inquiries: The University of Minnesota will be handling lie detector tests. Any inquiries of cheating will be handled by Tournament Officials and the University of Minnesota Law practices. Polygraph tests may be used to settle any cheating disputes. Person(s) bringing allegations assumes all costs for any polygraph testing. Person(s) making any cheating allegations agrees that their name will be made public. MNKFA also may require winners to take a voice stress test, provided and conducted by the university analysis team to test and confirm winners authenticity to prove they followed all the rules
12. Prizes: Prizes will differ from each event, live and online. Applicable tax laws will be adhered to. Major prizes will be announced prior to each event. An IRS 1099 form may be required to major prize winners. You are responsible for any sales tax required to register a kayak you win.
13. Board Member Participation: Board members, employees of sponsors or owners of sponsor companies are eligible to register, sign-up and win any prizes and subject to all the same scrutiny as any other entrant. In other words, if they win honestly, honorably and according to the rules and law, they win and deserve the appropriate gains from their investment (entry cost).
14. Waiver: Submitting the form and payment is your agreement to the above rules, regulations, terms and conditions, liability acknowledgement, otherwise the angler is ineligible to participate. You MUST be over 18 years of age and show valid identification at the captains meeting to be officially entered in the event. Minors are eligible to participate only if accompanied 100% of the time during this event by a parent who signs a waiver for the minor.
15. Ties: All ties are at the tournament directors discretion. Ties will be decided by first fish, biggest fish and/or time submitted.
16. Cancellation: If you MUST cancel your signup prior to the tournament: SEE REFUND/CANCELLATION POLICY FOR TOURNAMENTS.
FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH THESE RULES COULD RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION AND FORFEITURE OF ANY WINNINGS.
Knowledge of these rules is the responsibility of each contestant. Failure to read these rules or ignorance of them is no excuse.