All entries to our kayak fishing tournaments must follow these requirements.
These rules are subject to change at any time if the tournament director feels additions or alterations are needed to clarify these rules or make things fair for all entrants.
You MUST follow these rules:
- The mouth of fish can be open but MUST touch the end of bump board or the submission will be disqualified
- Tourney tag identifier holders are acceptable to use
- The tag shown in your pic MUST match the identifier for the tournament you are submitting the pic to or it will be disqualified
- Part of your kayak MUST show in the submitted pic with your fish on an approved measuring board
- ONLY vessels designated as kayaks by the manufacturer as kayaks or SUP’s (stand up paddleboards) are allowed in any tournament
- Your butt or feet MUST be in the kayak when you hook the fish, NO wade or shore fishing
- Your pics must include location and time information
- Your pic MUST show an approved MNKFA measuring board or the submission will be disqualified
You must use these approved measurement devices:
All measurement tools must have a flat clearly printed ruler with a vertical plane at the zero mark. The mouth of your fish must be butting the vertical plane of the zero mark. See photo below. NO homemade measuring devices are accepted.
The size board you use limits the score you can have credited
If you are fishing a pike tournament and use a 30″ board to measure a 32″ pike, you will only be credited with 30″ (as long as all other requirements are followed).
Acceptable for Bass and fish up to 30″
ALL BASS MUST BE MEASURED ON A NON-FOLDING APPROVED BOARD
Hawg Trough style boards for fish up to 30 inches (click here for product sample catalog)
Ketch boards are also approved for use. Either the metal or plastic version. (Click here for product sample web page)
No boards that fold or slide or have any mechanical movement for pics of fish up to 30 inches.
Acceptable for large fish over 30″
Rapala 60″ Folding Ruler For Big Fish (click here for product sample catalog)
Also allowed for Big Fish, Ketch 48″ measuring board. (click here for product sample catalog)
60″ Fatboy Muskie Bumper (left handed) Folding Ruler (click here for product sample catalog)
Can be used for large pike or other fish.
Send a message if you need confirmation the measurement board you are looking to purchase meets our requirements, we’re glad to help!
– Fish must be orientated as shown in the photo above. Head of fish facing left. Dorsal fin to the top of the photo.
– Mouth can be OPEN or CLOSED. Whatever is easy and safe for the fish.
– Lower jaw MUST touch the front bump lip on your board.
– NO mechanical or adjustable boards allowed. (They may be used on fish exceeding 30″ only.)
– ABSOLUTELY NOTHING covering any part of the the lips or eyes of the fish
– NO lures, fish grips or stringers may be attached to the fish.
– NO restraint bands, wires or ties of any kind holding the fish to the board. Only your hand may hold the fish in place.
– Tail MUST be touching flat against the board.
– Control image MUST be legible and in the submitted picture.
– You may NOT alter the control image or add any promotional messages anywhere in your submitted pics. Submitted pics with promotional messages will be disqualified. You are only allowed to write what is instructed in the blank sections given to you by the tournament director.
-Photos must be clear not blurry. If the tournament director can’t see the image clearly, it can’t be properly judged and may be disqualified.
– Part of your kayak MUST be in the submitted picture that includes your fish and measuring board. All tournaments are only open to watercraft designated as a kayak by the vessel manufacturer. No gas or electric powered boats for destination tournaments. Electric motors are allowed for online tournaments.
– NO team fishing! You MUST be the person who caught and measured the fish. You may have someone else hold the camera and take the picture for you for submission.
– YOU CANNOT share or give another person your fish for them to score as their own or take a fish from another person that you did not hook and land.
– You are NOT allowed to get assistance from any paid or unpaid professional guide services while on the water fishing any tournament, online or destination.
– ONLY vessels designated as kayaks or SUP’s (stand up paddleboards) by the manufacturer are allowed in any tournament.
– Your butt or feet MUST be in the kayak when you hook the fish, NO wade or shore fishing
IF YOU ARE UNCLEAR IF THE BOARD YOU HAVE IS APPROVED, SEND A PIC AND MESSAGE TO THE TOURNAMENT DIRECTOR WELL BEFORE THE TOURNAMENT BEGINS
– Put a sticker or color the bump lip (vertical plane of measuring board) with a marker. This makes it easy to see the mouth is in contact with the bump lip.
– You may also highlight the measurement lines on the board. This makes easy to read the fish measurement.
– Go to shore if your fish is lively. Get out, lay fish on your floor to take pictures. Take multiple photos every time! Put your fish on fish grips back into the water, then check your photos. Submit a photo that meets the above criteria. Release the fish.